Sunday, May 5, 2013

L.A. Christmas Story

I'm really behind in my posts so here's trying to catch up on the last 6 months of travels...

For the first time in probably over 10 years, I didn't celebrate Christmas in New York.  Instead I hightailed it to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with Alyce, who had moved out there over the summer.

Okay. I've only been to California once (excluding layovers at LAX), and I was a teenager then.  And maybe I had it in my head that I would get a sun tan on this trip.  I was also slightly misled into thinking I wouldn't need anything more than a light jacket.

On a sunny day hiking up to the Hollywood sign, a t-shirt sufficed. But LA gets COLD.  And rainy. And people here don't believe in insulation.  It got as cold as the upper 40s at night! My new best friend became the zip up down-filled sleeping bag I slept in. I still remember that sleeping bag fondly.

LA was a pretty relaxed town and it was nice being show around by a new local.  Alyce picked me up from the airport and we made our first stop at Randy's Doughnuts. Yummy!  It didn't make sense to have to narrow down our selection, so we got an even dozen which we slowly worked on during my stay.

We hiked up to the Hollywood sign, cooked a delicious Christmas rib roast with all the fixins, went to a house party of the daughter of one of the Eagles, and played lots of Bananagrams. We also went to see a couple of movies.  All in all it was a really fun time with one of my besties.

Of course, on the day I was heading back to NYC, the weather turned absolutely gorgeous.  We sat outside  at In-N-Out next to LAX,  watching the planes fly overhead while eating some burgers.


Randy's Doughnuts! 

Merry Christmas!
Grauman's Chinese Theater
(not as impressive as I had thought it would be.
And super touristy.)

No comments: