Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chile, Part 1: Santiago


Last year my mom made me promise to take her to Easter Island before she couldn't walk anymore.  Now, Mom is a spry 69, but I promised we could go in 2013. And so we did!

Chile is a narrow country that stretches 3,100 miles along the southern half of the western coast of South America.  It has many different landscapes from the driest desert in the world in the north to the glaciers of Patagonia to the very south, with volcanoes, lakes, vineyards, and beaches in between.

First stop: Santiago!

This was my first time in South America, so I have no other comparison (watch out, Argentina!).  Santiago is like any other city: smoggy, noisy, full of people.  But it has a nice mix of architecture, and pretty much every direction you look, the Andes Mountains are there. Even better, Santiago is pretty much the gateway to all other parts of Chile.

Buenos dias, Santiago! (Andes in the background)


Cerro Santa Lucia






















I love that the shepherd was unleashed
and hanging out on the corner, yelling at cyclists.
Lots of random roaming dogs. 


Main thoroughfare of Santiago.
It's a mix of Spanish colonial and modern architecture.


Chileans LOVE their mayonnaise.
So much that there is a full aisle of it in every grocery store. 


Chileans also love them some hot dogs.  A carryover from German settlers.
I tried their classic - chopped tomato, guacamole, with mayonnaise.
It was just okay. I was expecting something more life-changing.


One of the main markets near Central Station.  It looks just like Taiwan!

No comments: