Monday, November 26, 2007

Flight into Egypt

After an uneventful 10 hour plane ride, we arrived in Cairo. Looking out the airplane window, I'm not sure what I was expecting (okay, so maybe I was hoping I'd see the Pyramids at Giza on my right, and the Nile on my left), but everything here is sand colored. Everything. We were met at the airport by our guide, Hashem. He speaks very low and fast, with a rather heavy accent--I've had to ask him to repeat himself several times. At least I know that, in theory, I should be able to understand everything he's saying, rather than those Taiwanese tours I've been on when it's about a 40% comprehension rate and most of it is context.

Cairo has a population of about 20 million and the traffic reflects that. It is more insane than New York or Taipei and more along the lines of Istanbul. Basically, frightening.

Wake-up call at 2:30AM. We have a 5:30AM flight down south to see the Temple of Ramses II and Nefertari in Abu Simbel, then another flight further up the Nile to Aswan. We'll stay one night in the Old Cataract Hotel, where Agatha Christie wrote Death on the Nile, then we'll be on a Nile cruise for 4 days. I probably won't post until we arrive back in Cairo.
















Dysentery report: so far, so good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just watched "Man vs Wild", so if you need to know how to suvive in the desert off a dead camel, please let me know (ie. alot of water is stored in the camel's stomuch, and the hide makes a nice blanket for those cold desert nights). As well, eating raw goat testicles increases fertility, supposedly, but you might not need that for now. Jamie