Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Not Quite One Night in Bangkok

I left cool, rainy Taipei for sunny, warm Phuket, Thailand two days ago. We are here through a tour group (that seems to be the only way Taiwanese people travel) so yesterday was rather activity packed.

Phuket is at the south of Thailand and a popular resort place. It is also one of the places hit by the 2004 tsunami that devastated SE Asia. I've never been before so I can't say whether or not it's been totally rebuilt back up. We're staying in a less developed part, Kamala Beach so it's quieter. Patong is much more popular and crowded, with a Molly Malone's Pub and other such places. Ugh.

I will have to keep this relatively brief because the mosquitoes are TERRIBLE here, and of course, love to bite me. I am the owner of many large red welts. 2 new bites since I started this post. Dammit.

So here's what we've done so far:

1. Parasailing!
















2. Beach time on some of the islands off of Phuket. The water is very blue and clear. And thank god, very shallow. (For those of you who don't already know, I don't swim. And thus I have a fear of deep water.)
3. The UV Index is like a 10+, which I think is freakin' high. After slathering myself with SPF45 I STILL managed to burn a little. Ah well, I am a fast healer.

4. Took a drive to the southern tip of Phuket. Cape Promthep. Very beautiful.



















5. Thai massage. I was worried I would get the life kneaded/beaten out of me, but it actually wasn't too bad. Although, the girl did spend way too much time massaging my feet. I am not a big fan of having my feet touched. And although I was pained and sore afterwards, it all went away by this morning. Although I do have a few bruises and welts on my skin from it.

























6. Transvestite Cabaret. I kid you not. I don't know why they would think Asian tourists would want to see this. It was a little raunchy. Mom loved it, of course. I fell asleep halfway through. It was too sad to watch--these people obviously weren't putting much effort into it. The lip-synching was pathetic, and the performers pretty much looked like unattractive men with lots of make-up on.














Today we're going back to the beach this morning, then to some cave or something.

Another update soon!

No comments: