Monday, July 12, 2010

St. Louis: Questionably Midwest, but still the Gateway to the West













I'm heading out to St. Louis, MO this week to help my dear friend, Dr. Christina, set up her lab at Washington University. 

This is my first time visiting St. Louis (and Missouri) so here are some quick and dirty facts before I go:  
  • Missouri is the "Show Me" state. I am not sure what they are showing me. TBD.
  • The state animal is the mule--half horse, half donkey. The state insect is the honey bee. (There is also a state rock, mineral, fossil, song, dance, instrument and tree.)
  • Missouri was named after a tribe called Missouri Indians; meaning "town of the large canoes."
  • Missouri was a slave state (boo), but the first one to free its slaves.
  • Missouri Day is the third Wednesday in October.
  • Aunt Jemima pancake flour was invented in Missouri (1889).
  • At the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, not only was iced tea invented, but also the ice cream cone.
  • St. Louis is an independent city, not affiliated with any county, although it sits within St. Louis county.
  • Nicknames for St. Louis:  Gateway to the West, Mound City (due to the "mysterious earthen structures" nearby.)
And finally, although I am totally dubious of this, Missouri is considered part of the Midwest by the U.S. Census Bureau reporting. I know! It is totally South, right?

No comments: